Friday, November 6, 2015

Cider-Dijon Pork Tenderloin with Sweet & Spicy Sprouts




People, this is just all kinds of yum. We took a bite and thought this is what fall tastes like.

The first time I made this was roughly a month ago. I took some ingredients that I know blend well together from experience with other recipes and set out to see what we could create here. Because I wasn't following a recipe, after I finished it, I realized I didn't have the accurate amounts of each ingredient to list.

Therefore, I had to make it again.

The second time, I intended to be more accurate, paying attention to the details and writing them down as I went. I became distracted and failed miserably at that task.

Third time was the charm. This round, I made a concerted effort to get my ingredients and their measurements down on paper. Who knows how this has varied each time but the end taste has been the same, so here it is!

Ingredients
Yields 3-4 Servings

For Pork:
  • 1 pork tenderloin
  • 1 tbsp. olive oil
  • 1/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
  • 2 tbsp. Dijon Mustard
  • 2 tbsp. Honey
  • 2 tbsp. Tamari
  • Sriracha to taste (I probably used about 1 tbsp.)
  • Water
  • Cornstarch
For Sprouts:
  • 1 tbsp. Honey
  • 1 tbsp. Tamari
  • Red Pepper Flakes to taste
Heat the oven to 375 degrees. In a skillet, add the oil on high heat, then pan sear the tenderloin on all sides until browned, about 1-2 minutes per side.

In a saucepan, combine the ingredients for the pork and whisk on medium heat. Turn up and allow it to reduce and thicken, turning slightly syrupy - takes about 10 minutes. If it is not thickening for you, an easy trick is to take 1 tsp. of cornstarch and mix with 2 tbsp. of water, removing all clumps. If the sauce is not thick enough for your liking, take that cornstarch mixture and add, then turn up heat to boil, lower back to simmer. Continue to stir until desired thickness is reached.

Cover the tenderloin in the sauce, then bake for 18-20 minutes or until the center of the tenderloin reaches 140 degrees.

For an additional side, I've made this with cauliflower mashed potatoes and my new favorite, butternut squash puree. Both are wing-it recipes below.

Mashed Cauliflower/Potatoes
Yields 3-4 servings
  • Salt
  • 2 cup frozen cauliflower
  • 2 small Yukon Gold or Red Potatoes, cubed
  • 1 spoonful of greek yogurt
  • 2 tbsp. butter
  • Paprika
  • Garlic Salt
Fill a pot about 1/2 the way with water and salt it (hearty shakes, 4-5 times). Boil the potatoes on high for 10 minutes. Add cauliflower, boil for another 5-8 minutes. Once potatoes are soft enough to pierce through with a fork, remove and drain the water. Place cauliflower and potatoes in a bowl, add butter and greek yogurt, then using an electric hand mixer, beat until smooth. Season with Garlic salt and Paprika.

Butternut Squash Puree
Yields 4 servings
  • 1 butternut squash, cut in half and seeds removed
  • 1 tbsp. brown sugar
  • 1 tbsp. butter
Roast the butternut squash at 375 for 30-40 minutes. Remove from oven and scoop out the inside of the squash into a small food processor. Add in butter and brown sugar, pureeing until desired consistency.

No comments:

Post a Comment