Monday, August 31, 2015

#datemydallas



Growing up in Dallas, I am always fascinated to hear what attracts people to the city. Whether it is why they chose to go to college here, vacation here or live here, I love to hear what the draw is. For me, it's my memories, it's home. Sometimes you have a hard time seeing outside of that as to what makes it attractive to others.

When we were in Vancouver, we had a waitress at one of our first stops who asked us where we were from. She exclaimed, "Dallas! Oh my gosh, I love everything about Dallas. I have been wanting to go!" She proceeded to ask us what made us want to come to Vancouver? In a tone that didn't seem to understand what was so great about her city.

Just like how she didn't see the value, beauty and intrigue of her own city, I had just as much disbelief in my own city. So that's when I decided, I'm going to start dating Dallas to see it through the eyes of others.

I take Dallas for granted. Yet, Dallas has a booming arts and culture district that has completely re-invented itself since the time I was little and going on field trips to see what the Big D offered. Dallas is home to restaurants and chefs that have exploded on the culinary trail. Dallas has a fashion industry that is no New York City, but it is definitely a force to reckon with. Dallas possesses history, natural beauty and FUN. We are amazing at playing tourists in the cities we visit, to get the most out of what it offers, but when it comes to where we live, we don't do that.

I went through and made a list. Obviously, if you live your life being a tourist in your own city, it's going to get a little expensive. So I'm going to choose one new restaurant to try and one experience/place/event each month. I had said in a previous post that having things to plan and look forward to are my happy. So this effort is also fulfilling on that level too, as a step on this road to healing.

If you want to join me, here's what I'm going to do next month and I have a hash tag that has not yet been used by anyone else. You can follow along via Instagram and #datemydallas. If you want to join in on it, use #datemydallas to capture your experience to help recommend to others as well!

September #datemydallas Nights
Activity: 9/3 Bishop Arts Wine Walk
This is right in my own hood and an event that I haven't been able to attend since before we moved there. You buy a wine glass for $15 and then all of the stores in Bishop Arts are open late and ready to serve. YES PLEASE. Pre-sale tickets are already gone but you can take your chance night of for a limited number of glasses.
 
Restaurant: Pink Magnolia
This is the new restaurant concept by Blythe Beck, the only chef who was voted for TWO terms at the incubator restaurant concept, Kitchen LTO, in Trinity Groves. The intention of Kitchen LTO is to give these chefs an opportunity to build up a clientele based on their creative menu and food. Beck is the first one to get her brick and mortar restaurant. It is taking over the former Driftwood Space on Davis near the Bishop Arts district (bonus points for being down the street from us!) and is set to open September 3. I have a reservation for Max's birthday and look forward to
her upscale southern comfort menu.

From time to time, I'm sure there will be some events that just come up, not very planned out in advance. One was the Donut and Beer Pairing at LUCK in Trinity Groves this past weekend.


I read about it a few days before and decided it was a must try. We channeled our inner Homer Simpson and went with two other couples to enjoy a unique Sunday brunch with donuts prepared for us by Glazed Donut Works and various local craft beers from Oak Highlands Brewery, Firewheel Brewing Company, Lakewood Brewery and Woodcreek Brewing Company. The tastes for each pairing could not have been a better match of the donut with its corresponding ale. My favorites were the Red Velvet Donut Holes + StrI.P.A. by Firewheel (far left) and the Pineapple/Mango Old Fashioned Donuts + Rock Ryder Wheat Ale by Lakewood (far right).

This was the sixth time for them to offer this event, so I recommend watching for the next one and trying it out for yourself!



No comments:

Post a Comment