Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Cornbread Chili Bake



We were in an Eatzi's a few weeks after Hadley was born when I saw a chili and cornbread bake and my mind was blown. Sure they go together like peanut butter and jelly but I had never thought to combine the two into one dish. You guys, this was revolutionary. Don't just serve your cornbread with chili, serve it IN your chili. The next day when shopping at the grocery store, I found what I needed and in three easy steps, I had a really tasty meal in under 30 minutes. 

This has been a great meal to easily make and take to others, to serve a group, and we have loved it just for the two of us to have then reheat for nearly a week of leftovers. You can make your own chili and use that, or you can do what I did below! 

Ingredients:
(Yields 8-10 servings)
  • Cookwell & Company two step Chili mix (I've also had their green chili mix and highly recommend it)
  • A honey cornbread mix, I use the Central Market Honey Cornbread and whatever ingredients the cornbread needs according to the box. 
  • 1-1.5 lb ground meat (I've used both ground beef and ground turkey)
  • Garlic granules, to taste
  • Kidney Beans, drained and rinsed (optional, I like to add for additional protein, iron and fiber)
  • Shredded cheese (flavor of choice, I do a mild Cheddar or Monterrey Jack)
  • Green Onion (optional)
  • Sour Cream (optional)
1.) Pre-heat your oven to 375 degrees or whatever your cornbread mix says. While oven heats, brown your meat in a skillet and season with garlic granules. 
2.) While the meat cooks, grease a large casserole dish. Mix your cornbread in a bowl then pour the mix in and spread to even it. Cook for 10 minutes. 
3.) Once meat is cooked through, add to chili mix in a bowl and kidney beans if you opted to include. Spread on top of the half-cooked cornbread, top with cheese and pop in the oven for 10 more minutes. 

Remove when timer goes off and serve, garnishing with green onion and/or sour cream! 

No comments:

Post a Comment