Monday, December 14, 2015

Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad


My friend Casey brought this salad over for dinner recently and I had to have the recipe. This type of salad is my absolute favorite and I was thrilled to find an easy enough copycat recipe that is just as good as the restaurant versions I crave. She found it on the Pinch of Yum blog and shared it with me, so I must share it with you.

We added it to dinner as a side but it can easily be a full meal for either dinner or lunch.

Ingredients:
Yields 4 servings for a side

For Salad:
  • 20-25 brussels sprouts (makes about 3 cups shredded)
  • 3 slices of bacon
  • 1/2 cup pomegranate arils
  • 1/4 cup slivered almonds
  • 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano
For Dressing:
  • 1 shallot, chopped
  • Juice of 1 orange
  • Juice of 1 lemon
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 2 tbsp. honey (I added an additional tbsp to thicken)
  • 2 tbsp. Greek yogurt
  • 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard (I added this ingredient because after tasting it the first time without, I felt it needed something. This gave it another savory flavor and another dimension.)
  • 1/3 cup olive oil
Start by frying the bacon over low heat until crispy. Remove and set aside to dry on paper towels. Crumble and set aside.

The shredding of the brussels sprouts is probably the most time consuming part of this, but using a box cheese greater makes it go by quickly. I always chop off the end of the sprout, then peel back the top layer leaves that are often discolored. Using the slicing blade on the cheese grater (located on the side), shred the sprout. You can gently massage them to help separate the sprouts from one another and fluff a bit.

Toss the shaved sprouts, bacon crumbles, pomegranate arils, almonds and the grated cheese together.

Place all the dressing ingredients in the food processor and pulse until creamy. This made a lot of dressing, I used about 1/4 cup of it and kept the rest for salad use later this week. 

Toss the salad with dressing and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment